Jeff Hobbs primarily practices in the commercial, real estate, and construction litigation areas. He handles disputes involving a wide variety of matters, including breach of contract, land use and entitlements, professional and fiduciary liability, fraud and misrepresentation, Deceptive Trade Practices Act, construction, mechanic's liens, commercial leases, community association and condominium governance, and partnership, shareholder, and other entity matters. His clients have included real estate developers and investors, home builders, real estate brokers, property owners and condominium associations, commercial contractors, small businesses, individuals, and cities, counties, utility districts, and other governmental entities.
Jeff has represented clients at the trial and appellate levels in state and federal courts, as well as arbitration. Since joining Armbrust & Brown in 2003, he has handled as first or second chair over twenty trials and arbitrations to final verdict or award, and several appeals as lead or co-counsel in the Texas courts of appeal and Supreme Court of Texas.
Prior to joining the firm, Jeff worked at Vinson & Elkins, where he handled complex litigation matters in the areas of professional liability, securities and other corporate transactions, and real estate.
- Defended developer in lawsuit by neighborhood association and environmental organization challenging development agreement between client and city concerning future residential development of large tract of land, obtaining summary judgment for client and award of client's attorney's fees
- Defended developer in lawsuit by neighborhood associations challenging permits for commercial redevelopment of shopping mall, obtaining verdict in favor of client after bench trial
- Defended highway contractor in lawsuit by telecommunications company alleging damage to underground fiber optic line during tollway construction, obtaining jury verdict for client on all plaintiff's claims
- Defended military defense contracting company against claims by subcontractor involving design and installation of microware communication system for U.S. ally, obtaining arbitration award for client denying all of subcontractors claims.
- Defended large international law firm in lawsuits asserting legal malpractice and other claims arising from prior litigation over insurance claims for damages to buildings in office park development
- Defended real estate broker and agent in claims for tortious interference related to dispute over listing agreement and commission, obtaining summary judgment dismissing plaintiff's claims and award of clients' attorney's fees
- Defended oilfield services company in defamation lawsuit brought by competitor, achieving favorable settlement before trial after court excluded damage model of plaintiff's expert
- Defended title company in lawsuit by seller of property asserting breach of fiduciary duty and civil conspiracy claims arising from company's closing of sale, obtaining summary judgment dismissing all of the seller's claims
- Defended developer and other parties in premises liability claims arising out of jet ski accident at Lake Travis marina, obtaining summary judgment for all clients
- Defended national home building company in numerous lawsuits and arbitration proceedings, including construction defect claims, earnest money disputes, contractor payment disputes, mechanic's lien claims, and breach of contract claims
- Defended county in federal civil rights lawsuit filed by several former detainees alleging sexual assault, obtaining summary judgment for county
- Represented utility district in appeal of adverse jury verdict in resident's lawsuit for breach of contract and property damage, obtaining reversal of all but a nominal amount of trial court award
- Defended contractor in city's code enforcement action arising from removal of protected trees during construction of apartment project, obtaining jury verdict for client on all counts
- Austin Bar Association
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Supreme Court Historical Society
- American Inns of Court, Robert W. Calvert Inn, Barrister, Executive Committee (2013–2014)
- Super Lawyers® Rising Star, published by Thompson Reuters (2005, 2007–2009)
- Member of Supreme Court of Texas Task Force for Rules in Expedited Actions (2011–2012)
- Saint Matthew's Episcopal Church, Vestry Member (2011-2013), Senior Warden (2012–2013)
- Caritas of Austin, regular volunteer in Community Kitchen