Michael Whellan represents clients before city and county governmental entities in land-use and business matters. He also represents local and national clients in a variety of disputes, including those involving trade secrets, contracts, misrepresentations, real estate, and fraud.
- Rezoned 31-acre Austin Oaks’ site at MoPac and Spicewood Springs Rd. to allow for the redevelopment of a mixed-use project.
- Rezoned properties at S. 1st and W. Riverside, and at Gibson and S. Lamar to allow dense multifamily development in the urban core.
- Worked with neighborhood association and neighborhood plan contact team to obtain rezoning of property for a branch bank.
- Assisted clients in obtaining policy changes before City Commissions and City Council.
- Represented land owners in various litigation matters concerning easements, contracts, leases, and city code interpretation.
- Sued property owner to seek declaration of rights and obligations under commercial lease with development restrictions.
Austin Area Research Organization (AARO) – Member, 2010–present
Anti-Defamation League – Board of Directors, 2015–present
The University of Texas at Austin, Plan II Honors Board of Visitors – Board Member, 2017–present
Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Travis County – President 1999–2000; Board of Directors, 1994–2001
Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas – President, 2000–2001; Board of Directors, 1997–2004; Volunteer Attorney
Travis County Dispute Resolution Center – Board of Directors, 1995–1999; Volunteer Mediator
Leadership Austin, Class of 1996–1997
Jewish Community Association of Austin – Board of Directors, 2003–2005
Austin Bar Association (Co-Chair Annual Bench Bar Conference, 2010–2013; Co-Chair, Land Development Seminar, Real Estate Section, 2000–2006; Chair, Settlement Week Committee, 1995–1996; Co-Chair, Family Law Task Force, 1993–1995; Settlement Week Volunteer Mediator, 1992–2001; ADR Section; Civil Litigation Section)
State Bar of Texas (Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, Secretary, 1996–1998, Treasurer, 1998–1999)
Publications and Presentations
Author/Speaker, Exhaustion of Administrative Remedies, 18th Annual Land Development Seminar, October 29, 2010
Co-Author, Tips for Dealing with Local Governments, State Bar of Texas Advanced Real Estate Law Course – Summer, 2007
Co-Author, What Attorneys Want From Mediators, The Texas Mediator – Fall, 2002
Author/Speaker, Expert Liability in Real Estate Matters: What to Consider When Things Go Wrong, Eminent Domain – CLE International, Dallas, Texas June 14-15, 2001